Friday, November 8, 2013

Smiley Town

Dina David came back to teach us a lesson about being happy and smiley
when we wake up in the morning.
David has a hard time in the morning.  He likes to take his time and only likes when his Mom dresses him.
After a few mornings of acting cranky (like the people in Crankytown), forgetting to use respectful words, and lots of crying he realized that it was difficult for his family and friends to be around him when he acted like that.
Dina with lots of help form our class reminded him the right way to behave.  She reminded him that when he wakes up in the morning
he should be so thankful that he has a mommy and daddy that love him and that he can go to a special fun school and play with his friends.
She also reminded him that sometimes it's a Mitzvah to do things right away and he should try to get dressed on his own or allow others to help him when his Mom is busy.

As a class we decided that we needed reminders sometimes in the morning to be happy and smile because we all want to live in Smiley Town!

Hannah suggested we make smiley face signs to hang in our bedrooms!!
Songs:
1)
I've got something in my pocket that belongs across my face,
I keep it very close to me in a most convenient place,
I bet you wouldn't guess it,
If you did it might take a while,
So I'll take it out and put it on,
It's a great big happy smile!!

2)
Smile there aint you glad you're living
Think of all the giving you can do
Think up, never have a downfall
Aren't you glad that you are you
Somewhere, somebody is waiting
Waiting there to see you smile
Tell the world that I'm coming
I'm glad that I am me
Tell the world that I'm coming
I'm glad that I am me

3)
If you're happy and you know it...
After discussing all different material we can use to make a smiley face, the children chose clay.
First, we rolled it into a ball.

After flattening it we used all sorts of material to form a smiley face.
This was a great activity following our self portraits a while back.
It gave us a good idea of placement through self awareness.
The children gave each other ideas of how to curve the mouth to create a happy face!
The next day, we practiced our vertical skills by cutting out a circle
and drawing a happy face.

It was a great challenge for placement, because it was a big circle.
The children guided each other to use the entire face as opposed to one corner.

Following these activities, the children keep returning to the art center to form faces; happy, sad etc.








No comments:

Post a Comment